Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day 2010

Dear BugBear,

As of today, you are less than halfway done gestating.
As of today, we do not know if you are a boy or a girl.
As of today, our country is 234 years old. Strange number, huh?

With regard to the first reflection, we are -- as has been expressed in previous posts -- both excited and nervous about this steadily approaching reality. Krista, your mom, is definitely showing that something major and wonderful is happening to our family. She can't wait to have me feel your movements. Neither can I.

With regard to the second one, we will find out if you have boy bits or girl bits on Friday, the day after Krista's birthday. I can honestly say that I am excited for you to show up, girl or boy. We will attempt to raise you in a gender-dynamic and inclusive home.

Finally, with regard to the third observation, the integrity of the USA certainly stands on shaky ground these days, and there remains much to be done to clear up our reputation both at home and internationally. However, from the point of view of some, your country of birth has done wonderful things with regard to openness to strangers, providing the means by which folks can struggle for a better life for themselves and their children, and fighting for freedom and rights. Given my chosen profession (which stems from my passion and competencies), I ruthlessly criticize anything and everything, I'm definitely glad that I am allowed the freedom to do so. In November or so, you will be born in this country, and if it is not completely to your liking, we will try our best to make it better. After a while, it will be your job to contribute, however big or small, to the repair of this world. It's not your task to complete it all on your own, but neither are you spared from your valuable and critical input and voice. Everyone, however big or little, can make a positive difference.

It is the potential that I love about this country, and oddly enough, it is the potential that I love about you. So today, let's celebrate! I promise to give your mom extra hugs and love, and to attempt to anticipate and meet her needs and requests. Like the USA, we can call this a day of experimentation and independence.

Your dad,
-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment