Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

24 Week Update

What's going on? We're moving this weekend! I am so looking forward to getting everything unpacked, and starting to make the new space into our home, especially since this is where we'll be bringing home our Bugbear.

How pregnant are you? 24 weeks, also known as six months. That means I have four months, or sixteen weeks, left if I'm pregnant for the average 40 weeks. Babies aren't past due until 42 weeks, though, and we're certainly not looking for intervention or induction, so we could be looking at 18 more weeks of being pregnant. Even so, I'm more than halfway there.

Relate this pregnancy to objects we tend to eat or other daily stuff. Bugbear continues to grow, and is probably around 1.5 pounds this week. That's still roughly the size of a spaghetti squash, or papaya.

Tell me some random stuff about the Bugbear.  Bugbear is...still developing. S/he will probably add another 4-6 oz this week from adding fat, developing muscle, and calcifying bones. In addition, s/he's gaining complexity in his/her lung structure, and starting to produce white blood cells that will augment and eventually overtake the passive antibody transfer between him/her and me. Though Bugbear's eyes are still fused shut, s/he is developing rapid eye movement this week.

If heartburn is actually an indication of hair growth (a 2006 study showed a strong and significant correlation between the self-evaluated severity of heartburn and independently rated amounts of hair a baby had), Bugbear may be a bonobo.

What are you doing with/for Bugbear that's new? I chose a song to sing to Bugbear so that there's a distinctly familiar melody at hand when s/he is born. While baby books recommend this sort of thing, it's a result of my experiences as a big sister--I used to sing "Six Little Ducks" to my mom's belly when she was pregnant, and after my sister was born, she would calm down when I'd sing it to her. I love that, and wanted the same sort of comfort and bonding with my child. Random side note: there are 228 youtube videos called "Six Little Ducks," and I feel lucky to have found the one I remember after only watching four of them.

Tell me how you feel physically.  It's been a really difficult week. Lots and lots and lots of pain. I was unable to reliably walk for two days because of the sciatica, and while I'm super thankful that's over, not being able to exist without pain really took a toll on me. Add in killer death heartburn, some baby migraines, nighttime cramps in my calves, a weird perpetual evil-chalky taste in my mouth (that doesn't go away with brushing my teeth, mouthwash, food, water, tea, or anything else), and I'm ready for next week to be better.

What are you craving? I don't even know.  

Are you crazy emotional? Yes. It's clearly linked to all the pain, and the stress of moving, but I can safely expect to burst into tears at least twice a day.

Tell me how you feel otherwise. I'm still frustrated about my lack of standing up for myself, and working on how to best approach that. I'm excited to move, annoyed that I will be largely useless in the actual lifting stuff and putting it places process, and looking forward to a pretty quiet week of just unpacking and adjusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment